In Holistics, Report is the most basic reporting component. It can be used individually with full functionality, or can be placed into dashboards to contribute to a bigger picture.
Besides the drag-and-drop experience, Holistics also support creating reports from SQL.
- You can start creating a new report when clicking on the Report and Dashboards section in the Reporting tab:
It is also possible to create a new report directly as a widget dashboard. These reports will be tied into the dashboard and cannot be brought out as a stand-alone report.
- Next, you will be brought to the SQL report editor screen. From here you can write SQL queries to generate the result set to be visualized:
On top of base SQL supported by your database (PostgresSQL, MySQL, BigQuery's StandardSQL...) we have some convenient syntax to make your queries more powerful. Please refer to Query Syntax page to make the most use of SQL in Holistics.
- Click Run to generate the result set. When the result is returned from your database, the list of available fields will appear on the right and you can start creating visualizations just like with a dataset.
- Enter report name and description (Markdown supported)
- Click Save to finish the process.
Individual reports can be brought into dashboards as widgets, but dashboard reports (widgets) cannot be brought out as an individual report, or used in other dashboards.
With Holistics, you can export your report to some of the most popular formats on the fly. Please refer to the Export data page for more details about this feature.
In Holistics, you can give report access to users in your organization, or share a fixed view of your report to an external party with a shareable link.
We believe the "push, not pull" paradigm is essential when you want to build a data-driven culture in your organization. With Holistics, you can easily set up schedules to deliver data to your end-user via their preferred channels. For more details, please refer to the Data Delivery section.
Our filter syntax helps you easily insert variables into your query to optimize for performance, or serve your unique analytical needs:
Please refer to the Filters page for more details.
In most cases, the SQL reports only contain SELECT statements. However, in advance use cases you may want the report to run a non-SELECT query before a SELECT (for example, create a temporary function). In this case, you can toggle on Non-select query. If this is not toggled on, the non-SELECT query will be invalid.
- Cache result: In case your report contains complex logic that take time to process, or returns a large result set, you can enable caching to improve report load time.
- Auto Preload: Enable Holistics to automatically load and cache the report's result set
- Do not load data automatically: Enable this will prevent your report to load when you open it. Instead, users must click Submit to see the data. This is useful when your result set is large, and you want to apply filters before display the data
This feature allows you to track changes made to your report and revert it to a previous version. This applies to the report's query, filters and visualization settings.
The video below will showcase how the feature works:### Explore Data
When users use Explore Data feature on a report created from a dataset, the underlying dataset will be opened instead of the aggregated result set. This is particularly useful when you want to enable self-service data exploration for your end-users.
However, with reports created directly from SQL, your end-users can only explore the result set of your report query.
What if you have several similar business questions that can be answered by similar reports? Want to present a report in two different visualization styles? Or you want to learn and experiment on some complicated reports that must not be tampered?
You can do so easily by clicking on the More Options menu and select Copy. The destination of the copy can be the public workspace, but we recommend using your private workspace for experimentation purposes.
You can also move your reports between folders in the public workspace, or move reports between public and private workspace.
You can also leverage Holistics's capability by embedding reports into your application and pass it as your own reporting feature. For more details, please refer to the Embedded Analytics page.